Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Letter To Editor From Mary Ellen Manning Her Letter Without Editing To The Boston Herald

Mary-Ellen Manning
Mary Ellen Manning

To the editor:

In your June 10, 2011 editorial "Beyond Buffoonery,"
you said that I should be ashamed of myself for
having voted against the Governor's most recent
nominee to the Parole Board because he refused
to disclose the amount of his federal pension.
This is false. I voted against John Bocon because
this administration has put politics ahead of
public safety. Its unschooled approach to
parole will result in an increased number of dangerous felons
being released directly into our communities without
any post-release controls.

I have attached my written statement made contemperaneously
with the vote.

If the basis for this editorial is the June 8, 2011 State House News Service
item, SHNS changed the story at my request to remove the implication
that I had voted against Bocon over the pension issue.
I understand that times are tough economically, but perhaps
the Boston Herald should send its own reporters to the State House to cover
the Council on a regular basis. If not, I suggest that members of the
Herald editorial staff come to the meetings themselves rather
than rely on interpretations of third-party reporting to form their opinions.

Governor's Councillor Mary-Ellen Manning

p.s. Please feel free to confirm what I have said with Kyle Cheney, Mike Norton and Matt Murphy of the State House News Service

No comments:

Post a Comment